Thursday, July 11, 2019

RIP Jim Bouton

I read Ball Four every summer from 7th grade to 12th grade. I was re-reading it when the radio told us that Len Bias had died. One of my earliest memories of living in New York City was reading his son Michael's open letter to Steinbrenner to let Bouton return to Yankee Stadium after the death of his daughter. Bouton had been exiled due to Ball Four.

Today is Father's Day, but the date I have circled on my calendar is July 25. That is Old-Timers' Day at Yankee Stadium. Traditionally, it is the day when past Yankee stars take their annual curtain call. It is the day when my father, Jim Bouton, No. 56, the Bulldog, is snubbed, and not invited back. Although I know an invitation to attend Old-Timers' Day is an honor he can live without, it is what I wish for him this year.
You see, this past August my sister Laurie died in an automobile crash at the age of 31. She was beautiful and sweet. And as tough as it is to lose a sibling, I cannot even fathom the loss my parents must feel. Philosophers say it is because of tragedy that we give such importance to our games. Baseball, seemingly, has always been here for us. The key to baseball's future as America's favorite pastime lies in its continuity between generations.
I see this as an opportunity to get my father some extra hugs at a time in his life when he could use all the hugs he can get. It is something he would never seek for himself – he is going to kill me when he reads this – and maybe the kind of thing only a son or daughter can do for their father.

No comments: