Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Boxcars are Turning

I wouldn't say I dug them as much as Soup, The Great Brain, McGurk, or The Three Investigators, but I read me the shit outta some Boxcar children books. - XMASTIME
In a total surprise to me, they're still cranking those fuckers out:
Without the continued prevalence of The Boxcar Children, kids these days might not even know what a boxcar actually is. Originally published in 1924, Gertrude Chandler Warner’s first novel about the four orphaned Aldens gained popularity when it was re-released in 1942, and she followed it up with another 18 stories about the children, who, thankfully, no longer lived in a boxcar. There are now more than 150 books in the series, known as The Boxcar Children Mysteries, and, although the characters have 21st-century privileges like internet access and middle school robotics teams, the books have managed to stay true to the old-timey, small-town spirit of Warner’s early editions.

No comments: