Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Xmastime Happy/Sad

Happy: the trailer for The Trip: Greece is here!

Sad: apparently, it's the final installment of the brilliant series featuring two of my absolute favorites, Steve Coogan & Rob Brydon.

Great article/interview over at Vulture:
Coogan and Brydon have always been upfront about the fact that the two men presented onscreen are not really their true selves. (They’ve been outfitted with different families, for starters.) But when I get them together for a Zoom one dreary March morning, they slip right into (gently, collegially, lovingly) taking the piss out of each other. 

SC: I auditioned for The Holiday, and she said I wasn’t sexy enough.
RB: I didn’t audition for that. No, this was a little thing. But it was very funny because she was very flattering, and of course I’m very good with flattery. I respond very well to it. And then I did my bit, and of course didn’t get it.
SC: So, basically, you peaked at the small talk.
RB: Yeah! I think I’m good at that. I very rarely get a part that I audition for.
SC: I’m the same. I remember once this director said, “Can you stop saying the name of the character when you talk about it and just say ‘I’?” Right? So when I’m writing Alan Partridge, I say, “Alan does this, and Alan does that.” I don’t say “I do this,” you know. I just say, “Alan.” And I was talking about a part with this director, saying “he,” referring to the character. “He does this and then I think he does this,” and [the director] says, “Can you stop saying ‘he’ and say ‘I’, I think it will help you.” And I found myself saying, “Fuck off.” That’s why auditioning doesn’t go well for Rob or, I’d say, me.

No comments: