Friday, October 23, 2020

"Couldn't Miss This One This Year"

Yesterday I broke the seal on Christmas music for the season (fuck all you h8rz) and it occurred to me, is Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses - which has without a doubt become a part of the Christmas canon - overlooked as a rap song? I'd never thought of it as a pure "rap" until yesterday. It didn't make this list, or any other list I found. According to deep research, i.e. Wikipedia:

Written while hip hop music was beginning to gain prominence, the song is "almost rapped" by vocalist Patty Donahue. Its title is a pun on "rapping", and was a spoof on the name of the 1979 song "Christmas Rappin'" by Kurtis Blow. Beyond that, the title is a play on the lyrics themselves: Butler explained in an interview that he "liked the idea of the word 'wrap,' like a wraparound, because the story is circular."

I hereby submit that Christmas Wrapping is 1) a great Christmas song 2) a great rap song 3) a great EARLY rap song, and should get the respect it deserves as being more than some dippy Christmas song we hear every year for a few weeks in December. Or, if you're with me, October through December.

No comments: