Friday, October 16, 2020

He'a a Beatlefreak, a Beatlefreak, He's Beatlefreaky


Being the Beatles fanatic that I am I actually considered buying one these bricks from the original Cavern Club before realizing, "what're are you, a fucking idiot?"

But it did give me chuckle, reminding me of a real Beatlefreak I met about 24 years ago in Tupelo, as I'd posted years ago:

He was, and I say this as a compliment, a Beatles freak. I walked in and saw him for the first time, boom - Beatle boots, Beatles white tie/black tie with vest. Straight out of any photo you've seen from the recording of Please Please Me. We start talking, we both love the Beatles, he's in a Beatles cover band, he finds out I'm in a band (the you-wouldn't-even-believe-how-good-we-were-if-I-told-you,-even-tho-apparently-I-am-right-now,-I-guess The Happy Scene) and excitedly asks me to come "jam" with his band. I show a bit of interest and he gives me a tape (produced from his wig, in looking back on it) and I don't think anything of it until a few days later when I pop the tape in to listen. And I realize this isn't a Beatles cover band, it's a Break Down Every Note and Reproduce it Exactly Like it Is on The Album, Therein Making One Wonder Why Anyone Would Bother Band. Hmm.

The last time I talked to him, he asked me how many pairs of Beatle Boots he could order for me ("I like to keep at least four pairs handy, myself.")

No comments: