Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Hmmm...Aren't I Just SOMEthing??!!

Four years ago I started reading George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London, and in this post I high-lighted a line that jumped out at me:

“It is a feeling of relief, almost of pleasure, at knowing yourself at last genuinely down and out. You have talked so often of going to the dogs - and well, here are the dogs, and you have reached them, and you can stand it. It takes off a lot of anxiety.”

I was loving the book but unfortunately misplaced it before I got too far into it and never returned to it until today, when I picked up a new edition and on the back, big and smug and just sitting there easy as you please, was this:

Now, am I QUITE pleased with myself to be at least as brilliant as whoever approved the back cover for the 1961 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company edition? OF COURSE I AM QUITE PLEASED WITH MYSELF TO BE AT LEAST AS BRILLIANT AS WHOEVER APPROVED THE BACK COVER FOR THE 1961 HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT PUBLISHING COMPANY EDITION!!!!

 Sigh. Fun being me, people.

No comments: