Friday, October 23, 2020

"I'm goin' all in, 'cause I don't care"

Bruce’s latest single, Ghost, is overly long, plodding, kinda corny, filled with awkward phrasing and exactly what I, for one, needed right now. 👻🤗  - XMASTIME

Ever since Bruce’s amazing - albeit a few tracks too long - The Rising, I can’t say I’ve really dug into his ensuing albums, which by his standards have been tumbling out like things from an overstuffed closet. There’s been a few songs here and there, such as the magnificent Girls in Summer Clothes from 2005’s Magic, but in general the albums have come and gone for me without much notice.

But there’s something different about Letter to You. Maybe it’s because of how strange the year had been for all of us. Maybe it’s that he did it live with the E Street Band in only 5 days, both scenarios of which fans have been clamoring for longer than they can even remember. Maybe it’s the dark tone of a sense that the time we have with Bruce, and the time he has with us, is running out. Or maybe it’s the light tone of being happy we’re all here, together, even if only for now. It hardly seems like an accident that the first song is called One Minute You're Here and the last one is I'll See You In My Dreams. Maybe it’ll be an album we all keep reaching back to year after year like Born to Run, or maybe it’s one we’ll immediately forget once things go back to normal. But it’s the album we, or at least I, needed right now.

Thanks, Bruce.

No comments: