Monday, October 05, 2020

Joe!

Can Joe Biden's candid talk during the presidential debate about his son's drug problem be a major key in unlocking the stigma of addiction, leading to lives being saved? Thus guy hopes so:

If I had cancer, people would run marathons for me. If I had diabetes, I could tell everyone and they'd share health tips. But I have a chemical reaction where my dopamine receptors take over my brain when alcohol enters my system, so instead I have to tell nobody and hope there's an open church basement near me in any town I visit.

And why? Because it's a sickness where we think the people who get it should feel bad.

And then Joe Biden, a dad himself, went on national television and said his son had a problem and he was proud of him for conquering it.

How many other sons and daughters will now consider telling their dads about their issues because they saw this? This isn't hyperbole: how many lives might be saved?

I didn't tell my dad when I was struggling and it almost cost me my life. I wish I had seen someone like Joe Biden on TV saying he was proud of his son. 

Wishful thinking? Maybe. But you never know. Not in 2020.

No comments: