Monday, December 14, 2020

We are (Not!) the 2%!

I grabbed the graveyard-infused 32-ounce Styrofoam container of Budweiser Paddy had waiting for me and settled into my favorite corner of the bar, tucking myself away so that nobody could bother me unless they had to squeeze by to get to the tables in the back.  There had been a time when such careful positioning was meant to induce the accidental bumping into me so I could feign outrage and start a fight; eventually, it evolved into hoping some guy would knock over an almost-finished beer, scoring myself a freebie. - WILLIAMSBURG RATS: A MANNY'S TOUR OF DUTY

There's a new beer movement afoot, and it appears to be watering it the fuck down:

As Ternes and his coworkers retrofitted Bungalow for a malfunctioning world, daytime drinking was fun but not functional. The issue was alcohol content. “If it were 2%, we could probably drink it and get back to our day,” he says. “But nothing like that existed. It’s either [a Light beer] or otherwise just garbage.”

Head brewer Bryan Grohnke addressed the issue with the lunchtime-friendly By Day, a 2% ABV beer inspired by the British mild. The nutty beer is nuanced with toffee, chocolate and dark fruit, packaged in a 12-ounce can that’s perfect for pounding without dulling wits. “We like to drink and not get knocked down and fall over midday,” Grohnke says.

Fuck that. I'd rather just not drink in the middle of the day and wait until the evening, when I can enjoy whatever beer I'd like and the ABV it comes with. Over-drink your beer and wake up naked on a rooftop like a man, I say. Drinking is to be done while sitting and blogging talking with people, not during work or chores. 

Of course my no drinking at noon policy does NOT apply to weekends or holidays, but that should go without saying to those of you who knows good ol' Xmastime.

"Yes please Xmastime, tell me more of your thoughts on the subject at hand!"


No comments: