Monday, January 25, 2021

Rising Damp Note

Rising Damp is one of my favorite shows from the 1970s Golden Age of Britcoms and for some reason there's a new short article about the making of it in the Guardian today, mainly featuring its creator and writer Eric Chappell:

I was concerned his prejudicial attitude towards Philip could be misinterpreted by the audience as something to be celebrated or mimicked, as had happened with Johnny Speight’s bigoted and reactionary Alf Garnett. In the bar at the interval of the first night, back when Rising Damp was still a play, I heard a drunken Irishman say: “They have insulted my religion in there!” At that point, I realised people’s prejudices could be deflated with humour, and hoped I had written an intelligent comedy about race relations.

Maybe the reason for this article out of the blue is to remind everybody the show is now on Britbox? WHICH I FUCKING DID A MONTH AGO FOR YOU PEOPLE?!!?!?!?

No comments: