Thursday, February 25, 2021

RALPH!

Growing up in the early 80's as a UVa basketball fan of course I worshiped at the feet of Ralph Sampson like everybody else. As you most incredibly loyal fans surely remembers, years ago I defended Ralph's career, which some people had decided to deride over the years. I also mentioned how close he came to going to Kentucky. I thought I pretty much knew everything about Ralph - did I not pump out $32 for some signature Puma kicks in 7th grade? - but I was yesterday years old when I read this:

As a high school senior, Sampson had gone there on a recruiting visit. Tar Heel star Al Wood was his host. They got separated, and Sampson wandered the campus for an hour before finding him.

“Al Wood was the reason I didn’t go to Carolina,” Sampson says. “Because I got lost on campus.”

Dafuck? How is this not a well-known legend?!?! And to confirm I found an old podcast with Ralph in which he tells the story, so it is actually true.

Of course it was Wood who single-handedly beat UVa in the 1981 Final Four. Between that and ditching him, dude must've really hated Ralph.

Still waiting.

No comments: