Monday, February 08, 2021

We Are Not Two, We Are One

I was thrilled to hear a cover of my favorite Kinks song, Strangers, in a Super Bowl ad yesterday. I don't know why they didn't just use the original but okay.

Also, it's a Dave Davies song...poor Ray...he writes a million classics and in the end when the Super Bowl comes knocking they choose his little brother's song. Ah well.

More on the song in the ad:

On covering "Strangers" for the film, Eric Burton of Black Pumas tells Billboard, "To me, 'Strangers' has a really interesting way of cutting through straight to the soul. I had such a good time inhabiting this honest reflection on love lost and the triumph that is a resilient human spirit."

"I think this is one of the most thoughtful records I have ever done," Black Pumas' Adrian Quesada adds. "We wanted to show the original 'Strangers' its due respect. We really tried to honor the song and its timeless lyrics. The Lucius vocals gave the song another dimension, and I only wish we could have recorded with them in person.”

No comments: