Sunday, March 21, 2021

Lennon. Linus. Lost!

John Lennon once famously said (why do I feel the need to say "famously", wouldn't anyone assume that if I've heard it myself then it's a famous quote? Would anybody say "now wait a minute - is this something Lennon said privately to Xmastime?):

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."

Meanwhile, I've noted several times in the last weeks that Linus is a goddam monster, but according to this strip he may have been attuned to the same sensibilities about life as John Lennon. Soooooooo....now I hafta rethink everything. Dammit. DAMMIT LINUS VAN PELT DAMMIT!!!!

UPDATE: turns out our best hopes of being reassured that Linus is the raging lunatic we know him to be from realizing that maybe Lennon never actually said the quote:

The first thing to raise the alarm for a Beatle fan when analysing the quote is the mention of Lennon’s mother. One of the most important facts about the life of John Lennon is the sad story of his parents. Lennon was born on 9 October 1940 to Freddie Lennon and Julia Stanley. Lennon senior was away at sea during World War II and went AWOL in February 1944.

By the time Freddie he returned to Liverpool in the summer, Julia had met another man. When John was five, Freddie attempted to take the boy to New Zealand, but in a tragic scene forced the child to choose between his father and his mother. John chose his mother - who then left him in the care of his Aunt Mimi. John then grew up in the home of Mimi and his Uncle George, but over the years, Julia came back into his life until she was killed in a road accident when the future Beatle was just 17.

This harrowing upbringing makes it quite unlikely that Lennon would fondly recall words his mother gave him aged five - when she was in the process of abandoning him.

Nice try Linus but you're not about to Jedi mindfuck me into believing you don't have a bunch of dead puppies piled up in a basement somewhere.

No comments: