Monday, April 12, 2021

Goodbye, Shameless

WARNING: spoilers ahead!

Last night was the series finale of Shameless, a show I watched loyally from the beginning and over the years came to wonder why I watched it as it veered all over the place and was eye-roll inducing so many times. In the end, I think if you like a cast a lot you'll end up sticking with them for a decade no matter how immediately disposable and forgettable entire seasons may be. And a feeling of comfort and familiarity goes a long way with these things.

The finale was perfectly fine. Tied up a few things Frank dies happy, which seems right. I don't know why Emma Rossum couldn't be bothered to make an appearance. Probably Covid? I'll miss Kevin, whose very appearance was always a delight, and Mickey, who somehow made scowling "fuck you!" seem fresh even on the 19,000th time. 

Some random Xmastime thoughts on the show over the years:

While there's still a lot of eye-rolling "you gotta be shitting me" moments, in watching the first season of Shameless again I must say it was a funnier show than I thought at the time, so I'm looking forward to Sunday's season two premiere.

One funny thing is that, from what I can tell, this season takes place in the summer.  I'll say this about Shameless so far - it's the coldest-looking show I can think of.  Outside is always sheets of ice and snow piled up; even inside, someone's always putting on a sweater.

Oh yeah - and I wonder how many times per episode they'll have Emmy Rossum naked this time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kevin is one of my favorite characters on all of tv. Dude walks onscreen, I start beaming. 

Shameless can sometimes be just too damn depressing. Can we give Kevin his own show?

No comments: