Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Little Red Corvette

Fellow Minneapolis resident Paul Westerberg on Prince:

My first recollection of seeing him was a dress rehearsal for one of his early tours. I was next to another musician, a couple other guys that were up-and-comers and we thought we were hot shit. After about 60 seconds of watching Prince I said to him, "I'm fucking embarrassed to be alive."

Prince died five years ago today. As a kid, back in those "hold the tape recorder up to the radio!" days, this song was the song for me. I remember stumbling onto a magazine in Safeway and it had the lyrics and my mind was blown that you could even read the lyrics to a song, no less a song this great.

He lived for 30+ more years. He was an incredible musician. But this will always be my Prince song. It is, in a word, stunning.

No comments: