Friday, May 07, 2021

Sports Docs I Want

Somewhere or another I have a running list of sports documentaries I'd like to see made (Ralph choosing UVa over Kentucky/Reggie Jackson almost playing football for Bear Bryant/1983 Louisville-Houston semifinal etc etc) and I've thought of two more:

1) The absurdly great history of Boston sportswriters. You can start with this article from 2009:

From the mid-1970s to the early '80s, the Globe contained arguably the greatest collection of reporting talent ever assembled in a sports section, one that was unrivaled in its time and is sure never to be duplicated in an industry that today is bleeding talent. In those halcyon days, the staff's charge from hard-driving editor Dave Smith was: If a story warranted front-page space, cover it live. Reporter Will McDonough's directive back to Smith was elemental enough to be a Twitter post: "Get us space, money and get out of the way."

From Peter Gammons and Bob Ryan to the hated Dan Shaughnessy to Jackie McMullan and yeah, I'll include Bill Simmons, and the list goes on. I'd watch that shit.

2) The evolution of sports reporters tv shows. And I don't mean jackass nonsense like Steven A. Smith and Shit Bayless screaming at each other. I mean those Chicago guys and Pardon the Interruption and the Sports Reporters (whose podcast I still listen to religiously twice a week).

"Are you shitting me? Of course I was in the gym for The Greatest Walk of All Time goddammit!"

No comments: