Thursday, September 16, 2021

GodiHateYourLists

Rolling Stone just put out its latest list of Top 500 Songs and instead of doing my usual screaming at my laptop for hours I decided to be reminded that 14 years ago, Xmastime buddy GodIHateYourBand (now defunct grrr) asked me and a coupla other music lovers to compile the 100 greatest songs of all time. HERE IS THE FINAL LIST.

And of course I posted my own list HERE. Looking back all these years later I'm fairly okay with it as is - it's not like some old fucker like me is really gonna be wanting to add in any post-2007 songs (I barely have any post-1987 songs) - but there's some regrets. For one, it's very "classic rock". No Velvet Underground? No Jesus & Mary Chan, no Camper Van Beethoven? And I love This is England but I'm not sure I'd put it as my Clash representative today. No women, not  as much Motown/Stax/Phil Spector as I'd probably prefer. I probably wouldn't have Land of Hope & Dreams on a list today. No Big Star?!?!? But hey, that's what makes these things so great: they're useless, stupid, and did I say stupid? Luckily for you people I realized I could put them all in a Spotify playlist for you to enjoy! You're welcome!

NOTE: the only song missing from Spotify is The Vertebrats' amazing Left in the Dark, so I replaced it with their other "hits" that for some reason IS on Spotify.

NOTE 2: while Willie Nelson wrote Always on My Mind and is listed on my list, for the playlist I put the Elvis version, which is superior.

No comments: