Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Finally!

 A hopefully-definitive Brian Wilson doc is on the way:

Directed by Brent Wilson (no relation), the film offers a comprehensive look at Wilson’s musical accomplishments, personal tribulations, and cultural impact. The trailer teases testimonials from everyone from Elton John and Bruce Springsteen to Linda Perry, the Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins, and Nick Jonas. But the crux of the film is a series of interviews Wilson did with former Rolling Stone Editor-in-Chief Jason Fine.

I'm excited, although I am really fucking done with docs rolling the same musicians out to have them gush unabashedly. I get it - they're big fans themselves, and if you're doing a documentary and can get Dave Grohl to show up and gush, you do it. But one of the (many) great things about the recent Velvet Underground doc is they didn't do this. I already KNOW Brian Wilson is a musical genius, do I really need to hear another 15 people say it? I'd much rather spend the time inside Wilson's brain,with him walking us through his arrangements etc. But hey, I'm bitching and moaning but will watch it 100 times, so. Hopefully I'm wrong and the amount of gushing is little.

No comments: