Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Happy 51st Birfday

PBS

Always seen as the stodgy, dull channel on the dial, if you peel back the layers it's always PBS that has way more amazing, niche, local content than any big shitty network out there. - XMASTIME 

When I say I'm proud to be an American I don't mean waving flags and shooting guns, I mean PBS, one of the greatest public services ever.

I recall a particularly memorable stretch in Oxford back in 1996 when PBS seemed to play on a continuous loop:

A Hard Day's Night
The Making of A Hard Day's Night
Help!
The Red Green Show
The Steven Banks Show - featuring one of my favorite all-time television movements, his song I Miss Paul.  An incredible mix of comedy ("No one could make a pot of tea like Paul could") and poignancy ("I wish we were back in Liverpool.") 

Countless docuseries like Frontline and American Masters. Austin City Limits. Masterpeace Theater. A million Ken Burns docs.

Heck, PBS gave the USA Monty Python!  AND a great series on rock 'n roll!

I mean, there's way too much to list. I'll just say thank you, PBS. I look forward to 51 more incredible years.

No comments: