Tuesday, October 26, 2021

MORE Xmastime Vindication!!!

Years ago, I rather brilliantly wrote this about getting kids to read:

But as policy, while of course I'd rather have an adult reading Crime and Punishment than Twilight, I'd rather have them reading Twilight than watching The Real Housewives of The Hunger Games or some shit. As my Children's Lit professor at The Harvard on the Appomattox said about children, if they'll read a fucking cereal box let them read a cereal box. 

And now I see this snappy little tidbit from a famous Sports Illustrated article...

Sweet often let students read what they wanted, believing it was better for a kid to pore over 2,000 words about rebuilding motors in Popular Mechanics than to pretend to have studied 2,000 in The Odyssey. 

... about a high school baseball coach who in 1971 took a team to the state finals and ... (checks notes)...lost. 🤷‍♂️

Still means I'm right, dammit!

PS - it's actually a nice story, an almost-Hoosiers one featuring a whacky coach with the current Atlanta Braves' manager playing a bit part.

No comments: