Monday, October 18, 2021

Sorry Ma Update

FANTASTIC interview with Replacements discoverer/manager/guru/driver/allthings Peter Jesperson HERE, on the release celebrating the 40th anniversary of their debut album.

"But Xmastime", you say in the voice of Craig “Ironhead” Heyward from those soap commercials (RIP), “aren't you and Peter Jesperson BFF?"

Sigh. YES, faithful readers, yes we are:

A coupla years ago I wrote an email to Peter Jesperson, the first manager of the Replacements and their discoverer (if that’s a word.) I forget what I wrote to him about. Prolly blathering/gushing, something stupid. He wrote back, obviously amused I had named my band after a Replacements song. So he writes me a nice email and then at the end includes a story about the song “Hayday” – that after the album Hootenanny had been completed, Paul came up with the song and made them reconstruct the mobile studio, going through all that trouble again, fighting with everybody to record it and finally recording the song. Then he officially declared the album finished.

No comments: