Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Food for Digestion

Once again, we find an article about "Great Literary Meals". And of course the King of Them All is Proust, with his beloved madeleines:

Mechanically, weary after a dull day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate than a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, but individual, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory … I had ceased now to feel mediocre, accidental, mortal. Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy?

Of course, nobody writes abut breakfast like the Europeans.

And you know my rule about cheese and bread in books!

No comments: