Friday, April 08, 2022

OPENING DAY 2022

Today is Opening Day. Happy Opening Day! And by "Opening Day" obviously I mean "Opening Day for My Beloved Yankees". I wonder if I've mentioned the Yankees on this blog...500 times on ths blog? 1,000? 

Since you guys had to suffer through the players' lockout, I will make everything up to you with Opening Day Xmastime posts from yesteryear. Enoy! And you're welcome!

2007

I almost just had a fucking heart attack. For some reason the clock on my computer is wrong...just looked, and it said 1:16pm. Shit! I missed the start of the Yankees game! Christ. 

And actually, I guess it didn't SAY 1:16pm....

2009  

SELECT COMPANY: Bernie Williams is the ninth former Yankee to throw out a first pitch at a home opener joining Joe DiMaggio (nine times), Yogi Berra (seven times), Whitey Ford (three times), Mickey Mantle (once), Reggie Jackson (once), Phil Rizzuto (once), Bob Shawkey (once) and Mel Stottlemyre (once).

What the fuck? Who are these other people? Why are non-former Yankees throwing out first pitches on Opening Day? Wtf?

2010

I have never cried in an office. I cannot imagine a setting in which I would even come close. But I will say that the closest I've ever come is watching the Yankees' impromptu swarming of Matsui when he was just announced on the field and given his World Series ring. Awesome.

"I SAID, I WILL BE BANGING J-LO IN A COUPLA YEARS CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!?!" 


2012

Sure the Yankees blew it today (THANKS, Mo!), but I just checked and saw that gee, the last time they lost opening day on the road in a game Jeter opened up with a single up the middle? 2009. And GEE, what happened in October that year? 

    via LoHud Yankees Blog:  The Yankees have started the same infielders (Teixeira, Cano, Jeter, Rodriguez) and outfielders (Gardner, Granderson, Swisher) on Opening Day for the past three consecutive seasons. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it’s the first time a Major League team has done that since the Baltimore Orioles from 1979-81.

2015

This is my first ever Opening Day as a Yankees fan without Derek Jeter. Which makes me fucking sad.    

2021

The further away I get from my most cherished Yankees teams - Jeter, O'Neill, Tino et al - the more I realize that when Opening Day comes around I'm as excited to see the familiar voices from the booth - Kay, O'Neill, Cone et al - as I am the players.  

"They said would you like a baked potato with that I said damn right I would like a baked potato with that!"

No comments: