Friday, October 14, 2022

Fab Four Friday

For decades now I, like any human being with ears connected to their brain, have screamed about how even greater than it already is Sgt. Pepper would be if the damn group hadn't nonchalantly tossed off Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane for a double-sided single, leaving them both off the album.

Meanwhile All Too Much, one of my all-time favorite Beatles songs and certainly the one I most scratch my head re: not being on a "real" release, and this guy here correctly wonders how much better Sgt. Pepper would've been if they had included that one as well:

The song was recorded during the Sgt. Pepper sessions but held back until it appeared on the 1969 Yellow Submarine soundtrack. Personally, I think it would've been a highlight of Sgt. Pepper (certainly far better than "Within You, Without You," the Harrison track used instead); and I go back and forth on whether this or "A Day In The Life" is the more fitting closer. Sure, "Life" is probably the Beatles' greatest number, but this puppy is no less the epic album capper. (I ended up using it as the finale for my home-constructed, reconfigured version of the record.)

I mean, an already A++ album with those three monster songs? All of which were actually recorded during the album sessions???!!!

My brain just collapsed upon itself. 

No comments: