Friday, February 17, 2023

Can't Hardly SNL

It’s always driven me nuts whenever bands go on Saturday Night Live to play their big “hit", and then play the crappy plaintive ballad on Side 2 nobody cares about for their second song of the night. I mean you’re on SNL, this is a national audience, why not show your best? - XMASTIME 

To this day the only person I’ve ever seen do this is Paul Westerberg, who after playing whatever song he needed to on his first solo album said "fuck it” and for his second song played the Replacements’ classic Can't Hardly Wait, which included a laugh break about Burt Reynolds. THAT is rock and roll, people.Not sure of why I thought of this today - I am, after all, a riddle wrapped inside an enigma wrapped inside a pair of Toughskins - but I stand by my statement above, and you'll agree after watching below. Knocking On Mine is a fine performance, but like most of Westerberg's fist solo album is kinda boring af, but then he lets it rip with Cant Hardly Wait perfect!

No comments: