Wednesday, April 19, 2023

A Modest Proposal Framed as a Question. Or Vice Versa, Whichever the Fuck One Makes Sense.

TFW Xmastime has called you out on your bullshit.
I lived on Oxford, Mississippi for almost 3 years, and even in that short amount of time as a fully grown adult I could see how hard it is to imagine more of a Davy Crockett-style folk hero than Ole Miss' beloved Archie Manning. I mean for chrissakes the campus speed limit is his jersey number.

Then he became a much-lauded, lovable quarterback in the NFL who played for terrible, terrible teams and spent most of his time running for his life. So we get a lot of Archie Manning Folk Hero, elevated Even Higher by a Lot of What Ifs? Had He Played For a Good Team. But I think I will ask a question nobody's had the balls to ask since he first set foot in Oxford:

What if it turns out the truth is that Archie Manning was just a shitty quarterback?

No comments: