Friday, May 12, 2023

Dave Davies!

Xmastime bff Dave Davies (HERE'S PROOF, LOSERS!) sat down with the folks over at Vulture to look back on The Kinks' amazing career, and I must include myself as being right on time here:

Being a concept album, the terribly-named Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One is a satirical appraisal of the music industry; ironically, it's an "A" album that if you took out the songs that are blatantly, spell-things-out-about-inside-baseball-stuff about the music industry would be an "A+" album.

...since he says the song that's pissed off the most people is Denmark Street, which is one of the songs I bitched about above.

I do agree with my BFF DD about what might be the single definitive Kinks song:
I always thought that “Dead End Street” was the Kinks’ key that came through our work and Ray’s writing. Our past, where we come from, and the key that we all created. So it’s a lot of stuff. 
I always liked “Dead End Street” because I remember when Ray wrote it and we first rehearsed it, it felt like it could’ve been our last song if that’s what history had for us, because I realized it was all we needed to say. 
I agree! It's definitely in my Kinks Top 10, MAYbe top 5??!!?!?
What are we living for?
Two-roomed apartment on the second floor
No money coming in
The rent collector's knocking, trying to get in
We are strictly second class and we don't understand

Why we should be on dead end street?
People are living on dead end street
I'm gonna die on dead end street

No comments: