Friday, June 09, 2023

Cover Deez Nuts

Moi ICI:

No one was better at covers than the Ramones. The first time I tried to get permission to go to a Ramones show, my parents, who had been born in 1576, said "hellz no." A few days later I brought my mother a cassette I had made of all the old songs The Ramones had covered, including Let's Dance, California Sun, Do You Wanna Dance, Needles & Pins, Baby I Love You, Little Bit of Soul, Indian Giver and Palisades Park. This led to my mother thinking "oh, it's an oldies group, great!" and allowing me to go.

When I first heard The Ramones' version of California Sun as a 14 year-old I'd already known the original, which I thought of as a super-moldy-golden-oldie, from The Dark Ages. The Ramones' version came out in 1977 and The Rivieras' came out in 1960, meaning that for a band to do the same today it'd be with a song first released in...2006. I mean dafuck, the perception of time is a crazy thing, people.

No comments: