Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Here's to the Immortal Al Dunbar

I've known James from Staten Island Sigman for probably more than 20 years, first through being Marah fans - the poor bastard even ventured out to a few Hayday shows if I recall correctly - and I do, since he would've been one of about 6 people at any given show - - and then ever since as kinda online buddies with similar tastes. But one thing that has always set him apart is he's the only guy I can ever count on noticing any time I mention What's Happening!! anywhere online, and I like to so the same in return with his Substack entry this week entitled LET'S SING THIS ONE FOR BROTHER AL:
There is my life before I saw the Doobie Brothers two-part episode of “What’s Happening!!” and there is my life after I saw the Doobie Brothers two-part episode of “What’s Happening!!”

Let's take a minute to tip our collective hats to Theodore “Teddy” Wilson, the man who played Al Dunbar in the Doobie episodes. The episode doesn't come together if the guy playing Al Dunbar usn't any good. Luckily, Wilson is plenty good, even great, whenever he's on screen, particularly toward the end of the second part, when he's trying to get Shirley to take his order at Rob’s Place. It goes without saying that Shirley Hemphill is great in the scene (I said it anyway because you gave me a look that said, “You should say it”), but Wilson is her equal (and shoutout to Alonzo Brown Jr., who played Brother Bruno and seems to have done very little acting afterward, which is completely understandable because how do you top this?).
LITERALLY just a week ago I'd noticed that Teddy Wilson was also in an episode of Wings (his final ever tv appearance before dying tragically young in 1991), so this is perfect timing for any member of the Al Dunbar Appreciation Society!!

Even better he's somehow got a Youtube of the entire double-part episode!!! Here's Part 1, go watch the rest on his site. 🤗

No comments: