Thursday, August 03, 2023

I Don't Begin to Understand

I'm guessing I'm gonna be mentioning the much-anticipated Tim box (boxed?) set coming out next month; like anyone with ears I'm super-excited about it (even if I'm miffed they're cds and not actual records). The one ding on the album - other than fucking this - is that it's the shittiest album cover of any album I've ever loved, and it's not even close. To whit, via a 2013 article with the art director:

The cover of Tim features a bright element containing Longo's drawings of the band members (from left to right, Chris Mars, Paul Westerberg, Bob Stinson and Tommy Stinson). Although DeStaffan acknowledges the hot pink is a color of the time, the drawings themselves are representative of Longo's larger oeuvre; specifically, his "Men in the Cities" collection. "His work is a lot about a moment, a gesture," DeStaffan explains. "There is a little bit of angst, a little bit of tension, a little bit of foreboding. It really was his style to capture individuals in that moment."

To be fair I really love the back of the album, there's just something about its simplicity and soft focus along with the strangely fantastic colors.

BUT to be clear, the front is easily the shittiest album cover I've ever witnessed.

No comments: