Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Take My Money, Please

The Replacements' uberclassic of all uberclassics Tim is getting the big box set (boxed?) treatment:

Ed Stasium, who was a close friend and longtime production partner of the late Erdelyi (who died in 2014), has fashioned the definitive mix of the 11-track TIM. Also included is a new and improved mastering of Erdelyi’s original 1985 mix of the album. This deluxe edition also features a disc of unreleased recordings (among them, unearthed material from the band’s January 1985 session produced by Big Star legend Alex Chilton); as well as The Replacements’ entire January 11, 1986, show at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago. In total, the box includes 65 tracks–50 of which have never been heard before.

It's kinda funny they have Ed Stasium doing the big remix; I've fought for decades with music nerds who love disparaging the sound of the record ("too much reverb wwwwaaaaahhh!)(I'm *guessing* most of this kvetching is due to them hearing Paul Westerberg himself bitching about it also so yeah I guess it makes them sound cooler than cool) and blaming producer Tommy Ramone for it so why are they having the guy who was pretty much Tommy's partner in producing all those Ramones albums I dunno, but I am curious to hear all the extra shit from the legendary Alex Chilton sessions.

This is my favorite Replacements album and unlike most of their other newer release packages I'm gonna throw down the $crillah for this one and wrap myself up in it, too much reverb and all! 🕺🎸

No comments: