Sunday, October 08, 2023

Good Writing

The glass was still on the table and I swept it across the room, hearing it rumble in the dark.

I'm finally finishing Invisible Man after stalling for weeks, thinking I was magnanimously waiting for my nephew to start reading it when it turns out he sprinted past me and finished weeks ago, and was pleased to see this otherwise throwaway passage wherein Ellison resists the urge for some dramatic "the glass shattered into a million pieces!!" nonsense that happens in writers' heads but isn't remotely realistic.

"But Xmastime", you say in the voice of Craig “Ironhead” Heyward from those soap commercials (RIP), “didn't you point out a similar thing about a Mad Men episode back in 2015?"

Sigh. Yes I did, faithful readers, YES I did:
Must say, I dig the way they handled Peggy's coffee cup dropping. Usually on tv dropping a mug means it shatters into a thousand pieces, but not here. Nice touch.

"Xmastime gets me."

No comments: