Friday, April 19, 2024

HISTORY BEING MADE: the First-Ever Double Shot of #XOTD2009

BH 90210mygod, a Black Dude!!!

As I have a few days of catsitting (see how THESE SAME CATS TRIED TO KILL ME HERE) left, the tv gods have blessed me before I go back to my non-tv existence at home by airing the pilot to Beverly Hills 90210 this morning. And while I've seen the pilot many times, I just noticed for the first time that the very first words on the Whitest Show in the World was spoken by a black kid, the dj at the school. Of course the producers came to their senses, and he was replaced at the mic by David Silver, the whitest wanna-be-blackish, well kinda-i-guess guy in tv history. Irony! It was of course the last non-service industry black person (except of course when Brandon drove into "the hood" to end racism once and for all in the Vivica A. Fox episode) until a black "friend of the gang!" showed up with Andrea in THIS EPISODE. And of course they called him "Jordan." Sigh.

Whhhhaaaaaaaaat? Camon.

One thing I never got about The Sopranos is how Tony would walk down to the end of the driveway every day to get his newspaper. I mean, we're supposed to believe that at any given moment someone wants to knock him off, right? And how long would it take someone with a brain to see that every morning, at such and such time he comes waddling down to the end of his own driveway, gets the newspaper, STANDS THERE FOR A FEW MINUTES LOOKING AT IT, all while in his dopey bathrobe? And yet nothing ever happens. I guess it never occurred to any of these geniuses. Wtf?

No comments: