Tuesday, May 21, 2024

JCO !

For some reason one of the little shops in the George Washington Bridge Terminal not only sells books alongside batteries and coffee, but books you’d find in your college bookstore. I don’t just mean The Red Badge of Courage or The Grapes of Wrath; I mean books like Algebra II, or Physics 313, or a whole rack of Cliff Notes. This is very funny to me - I have no idea how these school books got there next to stacks of used video tapes for sale in a store where people buy the paper and coffee, but what the hey. - XMASTIME

That store also had plenty of random paperbacks like Joyce Carol Oates laments; I hadn't thought about it in 100 years but I agree that I miss stumbling on racks of pulp fictions churned out, books you could flip through on the bus and then trash if you wanted, or like The Chosen as I discuss in the post I linked to above.

Also, maybe it's because I "studied" her in college which was a million years ago there's no chance I woulda thought Joyce Carol Oates was still alive??

No comments: