Sunday, May 12, 2024

RIP DC Metro Carpet 😢

This really bums me out:

If you ride the Metro, you may be familiar with the carpeted trains. These are Metrorail's oldest cars, which were introduced in 1983. On Friday, the 2000-series trains will be retired.

The trains were built to last approximately 40 years, according to a Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority news release. While these trains have undergone updates and improvements, they've had four times the number of issues compared with the newer, 7000-series trains, the statement said.

All 76 train cars will be removed. Two will be preserved.

One of my favorite features of the DC Metro was ALWAYS been these carpets, they just had a nostalgic feel that worked well with the stations' "What People in 1973 Imagined 1999 Would Look Like" vibe. Even the color, that crazy burnt-yet-somehow-bright orange was great to me; people would hear me say how much I loved these carpets & remark "ewwww, they're so gross do you know what's in them??!" to which I'd always reply well are you eating your food off these things, do you not wear shoes?

No comments: