Sunday, June 30, 2024

Frontier Reality (wink-wink)

I have no idea WHY the New York Times - or as I call it, The Times - is doing a random-ass article on PBS' 2001 reality show Frontier House but I am all here for it; it really was the last gasp era of letting ourselves be fooled that there was something noble about "reality tv" (personally I really DO believe there's value in such a construct but of course because of $$$ it's all become wall-to-wall screaming and flipping tables over (we even managed to fucking ruin Kitchen Nightmares for ffs)). I don't really remember the amount of personal drama that's in the article (this subhead about Real Housewives doesn't ring a bell at all for me about the show), but I do remember this:

3) I’m watching “Frontier House” last night, the show where it sticks modern families into 1880s Montana. Struggle to survive, build a cabin yada yada. Then they all hafta go get supplies, and we’re greeted by the grocer, a Korean named…I can’t remember. We’ll call him Sang. Sang tells us that about 15% of Montana was Asians, and they, you know, set up laundry business and small grocery stores. What? Did I hear correctly? Why not just send up a black guy to say that in 1880 Montana the blacks, you know, sold crack and ran hip-hop labels out of their mother’s basements. Unreal. Oh, PBS, you!!!

🤣😂 🤣😂 

"But Xmastime", you say in the voice of Craig “Ironhead” Heyward from those soap commercials (RIP), "didn't that EARLY early post of the old Xmastime classic series Things are Good include one of your favorite all-time jokes here?"

Sigh. Yes it did, faithful readers, YES it did: 

“That’s right, $10 for me, or $25 for all three of us. No kissing on the mouth.”

No comments: