Saturday, June 22, 2024

Speaking of The Foods That Built America series on Hulu.

According to the episode with TGI Fridays, we're somehow led to believe that any type of singles bar just flat out didn't exist until 1965? My eyes were rolling out of my head, but I guess it's true:
I don't think there was anything else like it at the time. Before TGI Fridays, four single twenty-five-year-old girls were not going out on Friday nights, in public and with each other, to have a good time. They went to people's apartments for cocktail parties or they might go to a real restaurant for a date or for somebody's birthday, but they weren't going out with each other to a bar for a casual dinner and drinks because there was no such place for them to go.
That's crazy. I mean I don't wanna be Mr. Captain Date Rape or nothing, but it took until 4 years before we landed on the Moon for it to occur to some horny dude "hey you know what, why don't we let the hot young horny chicks closer to the booze?"??!?!??!?!?!?

No comments: