Thursday, July 18, 2024

Perfection!

One of the greatest moments of the Yankees Dynasty was David Cone's perfect game, which was 25 years ago today. Please hold while I cry. I can still see that game in my head, batters were swinging like that Bugs Bunny cartoon with slider after slider going swoop! swoop! swoop! one after another. Throughout the game I assumed it wouldn't happen since we were still breathing in the oxygen of David Wells' perfect game a year earlier, and of course the ridiculous coincidence of Don Larson being at the game (yes the same Don Larson who happened to be there when Wells spun HIS perfect game and oh yeah Wells went to the same high school Larson had) and oh yeah no big deal it was beloved Yankee Yogi Berra's triumphant return to Yankee Stadium after feuding with Steinbrenner for 14 years. The day was magical, every inch of it. I still get nervous when I think of Ricky Ledee's incredibly lucky catch in the 9th inning while he was totally blinded by the Sun.

I love that team.

No comments: