Saturday, August 31, 2024

Thoughts. I Have Them.

The timing of the Oasis reunion has made me realize how different the marking of the passage of time is the older you get. I'm roughly the same age as they are, and 30 years younger than The Beatles, and by the time they came around I was 22 years old & just finishing school forever and pretty much knew anything a mid-level rock nerd could possibly know in the pre-Internet days; I knew every inch of the entire history of rock & roll, which up to that point had been around just about 40 years, and kind of assumed that would always be the entire history of rock & roll (the same way I probably thought in 1986 that Fran Tarkenton's NFL's career passing yards record of 47,003 would last forever).

30 years later, Oasis and its generation - ME - now find ourselves in The Beatles slot of the generational hierarchy and I don't have anywhere near as close a grip on what the history of rock & roll has been over the last 30 years. I was older & more cognizant than I'd ever been before and I was actually living though those 30 years as a full-grown adult with an active & avid interest in the music world that was New York City, and yet there's zero chance I feel I have a hold on what the Encyclopedia Britannica entry for those last 30 years of rock & roll would look like, no idea. 🤔  🤷‍♂️

No comments: