Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Jeter!

Four seven TEN!!!! 😲🤯 years ago tonight was Jeter's last game at the Stadium, & because of the blackout rule (FUCK YOU, BLACKOUT RULE!) and they were playing the Orioles, I had to watch at my office where there was cable, much to the horror of the cleaning crew who came in to find a grown-ass dude blubbering like a baby.

A few of my live-blogging lines in real time from the game (just go back to that day goddammit I can't do links for all tings all the time for all you people):
I just realized it's the bottom of the 8th; unless the Yankee pitchers fuck this up, we've already seen Jeter's final home at-bat.

All those years in Brooklyn, all those games watched at 100 Metro. Meaningless June games on Sundays, evening games after work. October games when you could feel the Earth shake. And now it all ends on a random Thursday night in Washington, DC.

Yes! Jeter will get an at-bat in the 9th. Will feel The Stadium shake from here. If he hits a game-winning home run, my deal re: getting back down to my 4th grade weight stands.

Great. The only time in life I've gotten exactly what I wanted, and it's the Yankees giving up a 3-run lead. Of course. PS - if anyone ends the game before Jeter gets up, Imma flip out on everybody
Jeter wins it with a walk-off single. Fucking Hollywood in The Bronx. Unreal.
10 years ago today pic.twitter.com/matwS4fBP4

No comments: