Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Training Day

After 15 years riding the Subway in New York City every day and going on 2 years doing the same here in DC the idea of making any friendly interaction with a stranger is beyond my realm of comprehension, so of course earlier today as I was walking onto the train when some guy who at a glance looked to be a newly-retired guy from a backwoods kind of town I came out of smiled at me I didn't hesitate to glance away before I could accidentally reciprocate in any way.

As we got rolling along I noticed he was with his wife, who looked like every farmer's wife I remember as a kid, and they were lightly chatting with another couple. Then I saw they all had luggage and realized they were obviously going to Dulles Airport and now their last memory of their visit to DC would be some shithead who couldn't be bothered to throw a fake smile their way. I couldn't stop wondering if there was a way to return the gesture, but of course the window for anything that wouldn't correctly be perceived as being weird af had slammed shut with a thud.

Long story slightly less long, while absorbed in this drama that didn't exist I managed to miss my stop. 

No comments: