A year into President Donald Trump’s unprecedented deployment of the National Guard in Washington, D.C., some of the troops sent there say they are embarrassed by the mission and increasingly question why they are still there."But Xmastime", you say in the voice of Craig “Ironhead” Heyward from those soap commercials (RIP), "all of your brilliant 'oh gee but the Shake Shack by me has never been safer' wisecracks aside, didn't you make a video last year profusely thanking Trump for saving DC?"
Three current National Guard members told NPR, speaking anonymously because they remain in service, that the deployment has left them frustrated and concerned about the military’s reputation.
“I will say very frankly that the bad taste that this mission left in my mouth, it actually embarrasses me to be involved in any way,” one said.
Another said the experience had made him reluctant to even identify with the Guard. “I don’t want to think about the National Guard. I don’t want to necessarily discuss my affiliation with the National Guard. I don’t want to fulfill my normal National Guard duties just because of the abuses of the National Guard in this D.C. mission,” he said.
Sigh. Yes I did, faithful reader
No comments:
Post a Comment