I got on the elevator earlier (as opposed to in the future, I suppose? 🤔) & there was an older gentleman on crutches; throughout the ride I patted myself on the back for confirming to myself that of COURSE I'' let this guy get off first, I'll do a juuuuuuust-slightly-below-what-could-be-plausibly-accused-of-being-dramatic sweep of the hand towards the door for him. later on he'd tell his wife about the amazing guy on the elevator; he'd write a goddam country-western song about me if he was Townes Van Zandt. You'll always have this connection, this connection where common decency and goodness won the day, the first of what would hopefully be many days. My thoughtlessness & consideration for this gentlemen made me humbly accept my own greatness.
"You," I shook my head in wonder at myself, "you really are the greatest, you really are."
"What a fucking prick" I said to myself 10 seconds later when he had no problem sprinting out of the elevator ahead of me without even looking in my direction.
No comments:
Post a Comment