Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Maybe Baby

Over the last decade or so there’s been a flurry of rock biopics and while I usually dismiss them after screaming at the screen for the first 10 minutes as not being true, for some reason I’m always soft on The Buddy Holly Story. They don’t get the Crickets right, completely ignore the existence of Norman Petty and on and on; I wonder if I can watch The Buddy Holly Story on a loop because the first time I watched it in 1992 was before the Internet, when every single fact ever was laid out for anyone to see at any time.

Meanwhile when the Dylan movie came out with Chalamet I shut it off after about 15 minutes because I couldn’t stomach the inaccuracies I saw. But I love Buddy Holly 100x more than I give a shit about Dylan, so my question is am I easy on The Buddy Holly Story BECAUSE I saw it before the internet hit all of us, and at that point I hadn’t even found a book about Holly so who knows what I knew/though I knew about him at the time? I’d surely read enough to know right away that a few things were wrong about the movie the first time I watched, but I was fine forgiving the producers for them.

Are some movies like this grandfathered into some sort of blanket of forgiveness, while anything that comes out after the Internet et al will be judged against the infinite amount of information we have about the subject already?

Anyway, what I really should be telling you is to watch The Buddy Holly Story now!!

No comments: