Thursday, July 27, 2006

Barkley/Wilbon in 2012

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!!!!!

My beloved Sir Charles, who has always been a Republican (or, as he famously said when asked when he became a Republican "The day I got my first NBA paycheck")has switched teams and is now a Democrat. I feel like its Christmas morning - I've always said I'd turn Republican (ew) if Charles asked me to stump for him as Alabama Gov. But now he's on my team, and I'm thrilled, and now Op and I can put together our Barkley/Wilbon '12 campaign. A few choice Charles classics:

- On his retirement: "Just what America needs--another unemployed black man."

- Before the Dream Team's game against Angola in the 1992 Olympics: "All I know about Angola is Angola's in trouble."

- "I heard Tonya Harding is calling herself the Charles Barkley of figure skating. I was going to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized I have no character."

- To a fan in the FleetCenter in Boston: "You guys are two players away from being good again -- Bill Russell and Larry Bird."

- On the goal of the '92 Olympic Dream Team when playing Panama in the Tournament of the Americas: "To get the Canal back."

- Kenny: "There's guys who go over to Europe and play overseas from America, and they dominate!"
Charles: "Those are called 'brothers'"

- You know the world is off tilt when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest basketball player is Chinese and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

- Ainge: (to Barkley in the locker room) How is your back?
Barkley: Like your face. It needs surgery!

- "Colonel Sanders is the greatest white man that ever lived."

- "My family got all over me because they said Bush is only for the rich people. Then I reminded them, 'Hey, I'm rich'."

- Greg Gumbel: " Happy St Patrick's Day".
Barkley: "Great. Another reason for the Irish to go out and drink."

- When Chuck was asked by the judge if he had any regrets about throwing guy through a window in Orlando he said, "I regret we weren't on a higher floor."

- Chris Rose: You used to be called The Round Mound of Rebound. Just how round are you these days?
Charles Barkley: A few doughnuts away from a complete circle.

- "He's instant offense... on both ends of the floor, I might add."
Barkley on Cuttino Mobley

- Reggie Miller: "Gonzaga. That's my dark horse."
Charles: "They ain't that dark."

- At the dunk contest, as Josh Smith put a piece of tape down a ridiculous distance away from the hoop and the guys thought he was trying to jump from that point, Charles says: "That's impossible... that's like Dick Cheney trying to find another hunting partner."

- Talking about the Portland Trailblazers and their inconsistent play: "You never know what team is gonna show up on a given night, but you can bet they will be high."

- When asked about his daughter getting to the age where she's going to start dating, Charles said, "I figure if I kill the first one, word will get out."

You get the point. My 2nd favorite player of all time: The Round Mound of Rebound, Food World, Runaway Bread Truck,whatever you wanna call him - Charles call me, I got some ideas!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Xmastime.....Just read back all your blogs....big fan....it was nice to read about your love of ACC basketball (b-ball in it's purest form I'd say)...and I'm with rrthur...where do I sign up...