Tuesday, January 23, 2007

5 Songs I Like Today (Album Week!)

TELEPHONE FREE LANDSLIDE VICTORY - Camper Van Beethoven

"Oh No! (That funny Feeling)"
"Take the Skinheads Bowling"
"Border Ska"
"Where thw Hell is Bill"
"Wasted"

Most albums I love somehow remind me of fall or winter, and this is the only album I've ever loved that reminds me of burnt, dead summer grass in 98 degree heat. Summer of 1987, my first summer of freedom (my brother having gotten his license); thanks mostly to RRTHUR and a tape of "Burning Ambitions", I without a doubt found more amazing songs and bands that I still love today during that summer than any 3-month stretch before or since. First summer I hung out at French's parking lot. One of only 2 sophomores to make varsity that year, I can still feel what a thrill it was when the Northern Neck football preview came out in the paper and Coach Lewis took 2 paragraphs to talk aboput how good I looked, the promise I held. Summer my brother and I started working on the horse farm. Boy. I promise you I have never had a summer that good since. Ah well.

2 comments:

BayonneMike said...

The top 2 Summer albums of all time:

Darkness on the Edge of Town
Some Girls

I can't think of another summer that had a better kickoff than the Summer of '78.

Anonymous said...

Back in the Summer of Eighty Seven!

Has a funny ring to it.

And the greatest summertime song of all time is Chicago's corn-fest "Saturday In the Park."

It just is.