Thursday, January 25, 2007

5 Songs I Like Today (Album Week!)

HELP!- The Beatles

You're Gonna Lose that Girl
It's Only Love
The Night Before
Ticket to ride
I've Just Seen a Face

I chose "Help!" over the other amazing Beatles records cause I recall picking up a copy of it at Wal-Mart in Oxford, MS in 1995. Re-stocked my cds as the Anthology was coming on tv. The cashier was an old, 300-lb black woman who while swiping it said "oooooooh, I love these white boys!!" and then busted out a quick "oooooooooooh!" straight outta "I Saw Her Standing There." Kilt me. I remember watching the Anthology on ABC that fall and thinking, who on this planet is NOT watching this???!!! Was incredible - I taped it, wore all three tapes out in about a year. Since then I have the full 10-dvd joint AND the 95000 page book. Amazing. Plus, "Help!" is always overlooked I've thought; nobody brings it up in "favorite Beatle albums" arguments, while for me it's #2 (ie the shit)

HARD DAYS NIGHT
HELP!
REVOLVER
THE WHITE ALBUM
SGT PEPPER/LET IT BE (tie)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Synesthesia is a condition where a person can exhibit a cross-nerological reaction to stimuli. A certain scent can trigger a strong sense of color. A specific sound can leave a distinct taste in someone's mouth, etc.

When I first heard them back in the 1430s, The Beatles' albums Help and Rubber Soul always made me think of the color blue. Especially the song Help. A blue very much like the dark blue that frames this website.

That is fucked up.

Xmastime, do feelings have dreams?

BayonneMike said...

Where's Rubber Soul, my number 2 behind Revolver?

Anonymous said...

It seems a very normal thing to relate the color blue to the song Help. Much like Mike smells Mac-n Cheese when the wind is right on clear night in Bayonne.

What would be f**d up is if you watched this and saw dead people. 'Something' is black and white and grey here...but very much alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBe85UKa1GQ

Anonymous said...

I smell dirty dogs and burnt pretzles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMmkacR768&mode=related&search=