Friday, February 16, 2007

Third and Long

Caught some of an interesting doc on ESPN Classic last night based on Bill Rhoden's book "Third and Long: The Trials and Triumphs of the Black Quarterback." Centers mostly on James Harris, but much of the end is about Doug Williams, who of course won Super Bowl XXII, becoming the first black qb to win the Super Bowl (and he won the MVP to boot.) I don't really remember a big hullabaloo at the time time about him being the first black qb being a huge deal. I was 15, white, hated the Redskins and had not played a single second of athletic competition without playing with and against black kids. But while watching, something occured to me....in 1988, when Williams won, is there any way that you would think that 19 years later he would still be the only black qb to win one? Is it surprising that since then we've had a winning black coach, but not another qb? Had never occured to me til last night and was very surprising to me.

No comments: