Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Feeling the Heat

So this morning I flip on "Morning Joe" on MSNBC and I see they're talking to Dana Perino, the new White House Press Secretary. A plain, normal looking young woman I suppose. I kinda start listening and of course they're talking about the war on terror et al when Mika, looking refreshingly frustrated with her interview subject exclaims "come on, are we seriously safer than we were before 9/11?" To which Perino, smiling and shaking her head sadly at Mika's naivete pats her on the head with the words "Mika, Mika...did you see the last Bin Laden video? Obviously he's feeling the heat."

What?

Is this how low the expectations have become nowadays? 6 years after 9/11, thousands more dead, limbs coming back in zip-lock bags, civil liberties violated, about a trillion dollars - and this, after over 2200 days, is where we are? Bin Laden is..."feeling the heat?" Really? Am I crazy for not being 100% thrilled with this level of "success"? What if in 1948 Truman came on the radio and told us to "relax, Hitler is getting uncomfortable!" Wouldn't this be like me giving a girl a glass of wine with a roofie, some Spanish fly, taping pictures of George Clooney in her eyelids while Enrique Iglesias plays harp drenched in sweat on my 110-foot yacht, slipping her MORE spanish fly and then giddily telling my buddy "HEEEEEY...she's starting to get a little randy!!" Camon. You gotta be kidding me.

No comments: