Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Cold Water

Along with everyone else, I've spent the last few days swept up in Obamamania. It's fun, it's intoxicating...I've spent the last coupla days patting myself on the back, thinking gee, what a great country we are! So ready for change! Finally doing the right thing!

Then a few minutes ago I was slapped sober by the thought that you know, it's only been a little over 3 years since we RE-elected the whitest president ever. A president we know lied to us, a president who put us in a pretend war cause of his group of good ol' boy buddies, a president 53 million people voted for because he was "like me" or "someone I'd have a beer with." Even after his awful first term.

And I think about his poll numbers. Normally, we think of his polls at 25% and laugh "what a loser!" But thinking about that number now, it's pretty scary that after all that's gone on, there's still a QUARTER OF THE COUNTRY that likes Bush. I don't understand it, but there it is. To me, that tells me that the good ol' boy, old white man vote starts out on second base with the next election. Beyond scary.

I think about where I come from, and I know that there's no way my hometown is voting for a black man for president. Period. Obama could pass out ten-dollar bills and someone like Rudy could illegalize ice cream, and guess who's winning? And while I like to be naive about such things, I know that most of the country is like my hometown, no matter how much Scarborough/Matthews et al marvel on tv about what great Amercians we all are right now..

These thoughts are like a splash of cold water in such high times. Now I'm paranoid, now I'm thinking "is this what the GOP wants? Knowing Barack is un-electable?" Which is crazy, but weirder thoughts have happened. Anyways. I hope I'm wrong, obviously I would be thrilled if I woke up tomorrow and Obama was president. But the combination of too much patting on the back along with these thoughts make me wonder if I'm being set up.

No comments: